DEEP Discount Toy & Game Deals

Kontera

206906

Follow by Email

Natural & Organic Baby Products

coupon widget

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bean Bacon Chowder

I spent money ordering low GI cookbooks, and then I found this website:  Diabetic Enjoying Food.  So many of these recipes sound good.  My 15 yr old daughter was diagnosed last week with PCOS and needs to follow basically a diabetic diet.  I knew absolutely nothing about a diabetic diet.  I've been doing my homework, changing the foods I buy and the way I cook them.  Tomorrow night, I'm going to fix the following soup for dinner and add a batch of cornbread to it.  A small slice will be ok for her to have.

BEAN BACON CHOWDER




1 1/2 cups dried beans (I prefer navy for this), rinsed well



2 cups cold water



6 slices of thick cut bacon



1 med carrot, halve lengthwise then cut into 1-inch pieces



1 celery rib, chopped



1 medium onion, chopped



1 small turnip, cut into bite-sized pieces



1 tsp Italian seasoning mix



1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper



1 can (48 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth



1 cup milk



Soak beans in the cold water overnight. Cook bacon in medium skillet over medium heat. Drain well on paper toweling. Crumble bacon. In a slow cooker, combine the carrot, celery, onion, turnip, Italian seasonings, pepper, beans and bacon; stir to mix. Pour broth over top. Cover and cook on low 7 1/2 to 9 hours until beans are crisp tender.



Remove 2 cups of soup mixture into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth then return to the slow cooker. Add the milk, cover and heat on high for 10 minutes to heat through.



6 servings. Per serving: 270 calories, 20 g protein, 39 g carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment